Friday 31 August 2012

Day 70: Blue Moon


Well today is a blue moon. A rare astrological occurrence that means anything goes really.

I did search high and low for a poem about a blue moon specifically, but could I find any? Not one. Amazing what with the sheer volume of poems written about the moon, none take up issue with the blue moon. Well, none that I can find anyway. (Except, I do have one written myself, and in the process of writing another one. But you'll have to hop on over to my Blog of One's Own to see those...)

What I did keep finding was 'Blue Moon', the classic old song. So, I just had to post it. It's an one-off. An appropriate choice for a 'once in a blue moon' action. The song itself is moody and melancholy, blue being the metaphor for sadness of course, but it also refers to that one-off lucky happening related to blue moons that can change everything. 

Impossible to read the lyrics without humming along! So the song is below, not Elvis or Ella's version, but a more offbeat Chris Isaak. Enjoy.


'Blue Moon'   (Richard Rogers, Lorenz Hart)

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon
You know just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

(And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked to the Moon, it turned to gold)

Blue Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

(And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked the Moon had turned to gold)

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!