Wednesday 24 October 2012

Day 124: The Blues

'Woman with Crossed Arms' - Picasso, 1901
After reading an article on all the connotations of the colour blue (-The New York Times) and how many different things it represents, including 'the blues', that emotional state of sorrow we are all familiar with, I got to thinking of this poem by Maya Angelou. 

In it, she explores the idea of blue not only as implying sadness, but also as cold and forlorn - the depressing hue and feel of winter. 


My Life Has Turned to Blue - Maya Angelou

Our summer's gone,
the golden days are through.
The rosy dawns I used to
wake with you
have turned to gray,
my life has turned to blue.


The once-green lawns
glisten now with dew.
Red robin's gone,
down to the South he flew.
Left here alone,
my life has turned to blue.


I've heard the news
that winter too will pass,
that spring's a sign
that summer's due at last.
But until I see you
lying in green grass,
my life has turned to blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!