Tuesday 2 April 2013

Day 274: April Girl


So many poets are in love with April! What is it? Because it's the month when real Spring comes along? The sun starts to show itself again? And the flowers too? The loveliest of all the months?
 
In this poem though, I think Ogden Nash captures the character of the fiery innocent Aries, as well as just April in describing this 'April girl' - the changing temperament - from flowery to angry, 'gracious to cruel, tender to rowdy', but ever true, like the diamond birthstone for the month.


Always Marry an April Girl - Ogden Nash

Praise the spells and bless the charms,
I found April in my arms.
April golden, April cloudy,
Gracious, cruel, tender, rowdy;
April soft in flowered languor,
April cold with sudden anger,
Ever changing, ever true -
I love April, I love you.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!