Friday, 12 April 2013

Day 284: Cut Off an Arm For You


A love poem with genuine feeling -  from a common cliché (I'd cut off an arm for you) to a caring, tender declaration of truth.  There, how does this sound? -


Let Me Put It This Way - Simon Armitage 

Let me put it this way:
if you came to lay

your sleeping head
against my arm or sleeve,

and if my arm went dead,
or if I had to take my leave

at midnight, I should rather
cleave it from the joint or seam

than make a scene
or bring you round.

There,
how does that sound?
                

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!