Friday 4 October 2013

Day 441: Full Indian Rope Trick


I had the great fortune of attending a reading by Colette Bryce last night. Here is her superb debut poem:


The Full Indian Rope Trick - Colette Bryce

There was no secret
murmured down through a long line
of elect; no dark fakir, no flutter
of notes from a pipe,
no proof, no footage of it -
but I did it,

Guildhall Square, noon,
in front of everyone.
There were walls, bells, passers-by;
then a rope, thrown, caught by the sky
and me, young, up and away,
goodbye.

Goodbye, goodbye.
Thin air. First try.
A crowd hushed, squinting eyes
at a full sun. There
on the stones
the slack weight of a rope

coiled in a crate, a braid
eighteen summers long,
and me
I'm long gone,
my one-off trick
unique, unequalled since.

And what would I tell them
given the chance?
It was painful; it took years.
I'm my own witness,
guardian of the fact
that I'm still here.




© Colette Bryce 'The Full Indian Rope Trick' Picador Poetry 

1 comment:

  1. Do You Need Finance? Are You Looking For Finance? Are You Looking For Finance To Enlarge Your Business? We Help Individuals And Companies To Obtain Finance For Business Expanding And To Setup A New Business Ranging Any Amount. Get Finance At Affordable Interest Rate Of 3%, Do You Need This Finance For Business And To Clear Your Bills? Then Send Us An Email Now For More Information Contact Us Now Via Financialserviceoffer876@Gmail.Com Whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!