Friday 8 November 2013

Day 476: New Moon

 

There's a lovely new moon in the sky right now. Even though November days may be dreary, the dusks are beautiful, otherwordly almost, a palette of many different blues and a sliver of the new moon lighting them 'a wisp of beauty all alone'. Most definitely, as Sara Teasdale declares here 'a gift.' Worth your while stepping out in them and looking up.

The New Moon - Sara Teasdale

Day, you have bruised and beaten me,
As rain beats down the bright, proud sea,
Beaten my body, bruised my soul,
Left me nothing lovely or whole -

Yet I have wrested a gift from you,
Day that dies in dusky blue:
For suddenly over the factories
I saw a moon in the cloudy seas -

A wisp of beauty all alone
In a world as hard and gray as stone -
Oh who could be bitter and want to die
When a maiden moon wakes up in the sky? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!