Saturday 23 November 2013

Day 491: Hymn

 

Jack Kerouac is well-known for his poetic prose, but he dabbled in poetry too. Here is one of them, in his trademark ecstatic, enthusiastic style. 


Hymn - Jack Kerouac


And when you showed me the Brooklyn Bridge
   in the morning, 
      Ah God,


And the people slipping on ice in the street,
twice,
          twice,
                    two different people
                    came over, goin to work,
                    so earnest and tryful,
                    clutching their pitiful
                    morning Daily News
                    slip on the ice & fall
                    both inside 5 minutes
                    and I cried I cried


That's when you taught me tears, Ah
   God in the morning,
      Ah Thee


And me leaning on the lampost wiping
eyes,
         eyes,
                  nobody's know I'd cried
                  or woulda cared anyway
                  but O I saw my father
                  and my grandfather's mother
                  and the long lines of chairs
                  and tear-sitters and dead,
                  Ah me, I knew God You
                  had better plans than that


So whatever plan you have for me
Splitter of majesty
Make it short
   brief
Make it snappy
   bring me home to the Eternal Mother
   today


At your service anyway,
   (and until)

2 comments:

  1. i was searching online for articles that i can benefit. Thanks for sharing information.

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I massage my girlfriend?
    Be Smooth
    Start at her shoulders and then move to the muscles at the base of her neck before working down each arm. Gently pinch (between your thumb and fingers), squeeze, and knead her skin. If she winces, lighten up; she should be completely relaxed.

    How to Give Her a Massage That Will Leave Her Begging For More ...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!