Friday 21 February 2014

Day 580: The More Loving One

                                                        

Since today is WH Auden's birthday, I feel duty-bound to post a poem of his, occupying as he does, such a high ranking in the canon of contemporary poetry. 

In this poem,  'The More Loving One', there is Auden's characteristic wise and authoritative voice and his high moral reckoning: to do what is right, to love, even if you're not loved in return, and to love this universe, even though it may not seem so loving.



The More Loving One - WH Auden

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!