Sunday 2 March 2014

Day 590: An Original Love Poem


Now, this is an original love poem if ever I've seen one. Ebullient and endearing, its honest and witty 
'say-what-you-feel'  descriptions prove its sincerity.  So many great lines you'll be gasping out loud at 
their ingenuity.

 
To You - Kenneth Koch

I love you as a sheriff searches for a walnut
That will solve a murder case unsolved for years
Because the murderer left it in the snow beside a window
Through which he saw her head, connecting with
Her shoulders by a neck, and laid a red
Roof in her heart. For this we live a thousand years;
For this we love, and we live because we love, we are not
Inside a bottle, thank goodness! I love you as a
Kid searches for a goat; I am crazier than shirttails
In the wind, when you’re near, a wind that blows from
The big blue sea, so shiny so deep and so unlike us;
I think I am bicycling across an Africa of green and white fields
Always, to be near you, even in my heart
When I’m awake, which swims, and also I believe that you
Are trustworthy as the sidewalk which leads me to
The place where I again think of you, a new
Harmony of thoughts! I love you as the sunlight leads the prow
Of a ship which sails
From Hartford to Miami, and I love you
Best at dawn, when even before I am awake the sun
Receives me in the questions which you always pose.

2 comments:

  1. I love when you post poems by writers I haven't heard of before, and then the poems are these brilliant little flashes of insight and imagery, and I want to read everything the writer has ever written....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, you must definitely check out Kenneth Koch! He's a weird and wonderful poet!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!