Friday 7 March 2014

Day 595: Blue Skies


The past few days I have been searching extensively for poems on blue skies. But, nope. Nothing to be found. There are poems that mention blue skies sure, but none dedicated entirely to them. A pity. Don't you think a big bright blue sky is deserving of a poem? Is there anything more uplifting than a big buoyant blue sky beaming down on you? I was especially struck by the one earlier this week (see pic above) and have been since trying to find a poem to capture it.

The one thing I could find was the famous song 'Blue Skies', written by Irving Berlin (who also wrote 'White Christmas') and sung by the likes of Louis Armstrong, Doris Day, Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald thereafter. I love the lyrics - they can't help but bring a smile to your face.

*(If you're a fan of blue skies and want to read more musing on them you may like this post: A Blue True Dream of Sky - on my other blog).



Blue Skies - Irving Berlin

I was blue, just as blue as I could be
Every day was a cloudy day for me
Then good luck came a-knocking at my door
Skies were gray but they're not gray anymore

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see

Bluebirds
Singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds
All day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things looking so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on...

1 comment:

  1. C minor is said to represent for Beethoven a "stormy, heroic tonality";[

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!